Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Tag Gets a Biopsy - 12/8 Update


** Please do not call Joann at this time.  She is exhausted and needs to rest!  I have launched this blog to keep everyone up to date on any news of Tag's adventures.  If you must speak to someone please call Mitch Brinton.**

Tag's getting a biopsy today at 5 PM.  Poor little man is hungry and they are making him fast just like an adult (seems ridiculous for a 3-day old) prior to putting him under, so he hasn't eaten for 12 hours!  We won't know the results of the biopsy for at least a day, maybe two, so we remain in the dark as to the proposed treatment.  

However, here's what a specialist on "hemangiomas" said today as he was visiting with Joann:


His feeling is that the Mass is a congenital hemangioma which really isn't a typical hemangioma.  Typical ones are present in one in ten newborns in some fashion or other.  With a congenital hemangioma, it's more like 1 in 50-100,000 cases.  There are two types, "Rich vs. Niche".  He's hoping it's a RICH because it dissipates fairly quickly on its own without needing any steroid or beta blocker treatments.  However, we have noticed it has grown a little each day.  If it's a NICHE type then they will perform some sort of treatment involving steroids and beta blockers of some type, but it remains unclear.


Really, though, the above information is only guessing until we get the biopsy results in the next 24-48 hours.


We will keep you all posted as soon as we know anything.  Thank you so much for all the prayers and concern.  It means a lot to us.  Meanwhile, here's some photos of Tag and Mom and Dad taken over the last few days.  Enjoy!

NOTE:  I haven't figured out how to make captions on this blog yet, but these first two pictures are of Jo and I having recommended "skin to skin time" with Tag.  The lactation specialist and the nurses said that a newborn really responds well to being skin to skin with the mother and father.  Tag really responded well to hearing my voice as he snuggled up to me.













9 comments:

  1. Mitch, we love you all and are praying for little Tag and Joann to rest and recover. Thanks for the blog, it is great to be able to feel in the loop without bugging you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mitch, we really appreciate you taking the time to keep us all up to speed. I can not imagine how exhausted you are and I pray you both get some rest any minute you can find. Tag is a Charles so he will have more strength and love for his parents than anyone can imagine. You all will continue to be in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TAG is SO BEAUTIFUL!!! What an angel! Thank you for the info. I love you.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mitch--great effort on providing updates, we so appreciate knowing what is happening. We pray for all of you. Tag (a great name and story behind the name) is a beautiful baby. He is lucky to be so loved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mitch - Wow! What a ride. We know from experience the emotions you and Jo are feeling right now. Despite the fear and the not knowing, the special peace and understanding that comes in those quiet moments are feelings you will remember all you life and make all the things you are going through worth it. You are in our thoughts and prayers. I won't ever be able to look at my watch again without thinking of Tag. Can't wait to meet him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mitch, Congratulations on the birth of Tag, all 3 of you are heroic! I just found out about all this this morning - thoughts are prayers are coming your way from Alaska this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never been more moved by a Father and Husbands love. Thanks for sharing these precious few days with us. Tag is beautiful, and such a stud for fighting so hard. It must be the St. George blood in him!! We will be praying for sweet little Tag (and for his amazing mom and dad!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My sister directed me to your blog. Both my children have hemangiomas, but they are superficial. They are very small and have gone away. I know how scary the NICU, testing, and all other things related to your baby can be, as mine were both very premature. I wish you all the best and you will be in my prayers. He looks like a fighter and is adorable. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know PCMC Very Well, I spent 6 months up there When my sister was born 24 weeks early at 1 lb.4 oz. back in 95'

    Our thoughts and prayers are with you. If you need anything don't hesitate let us know!

    ReplyDelete