Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Butterfly Circus

I was awake with baby Tag last night at 2:30 AM.  Well, in reality HE was awake while I was walking in my sleep... Anyway, I got thinking about a few close friends and family members who have raised (or are raising) children with unique differences, be it autism, downs syndrome, hypoglycemia, etc..  Others have parents or grandparents who are struggling with Alzheimer's or cancer or some other affliction.  None of these friends chose this arrangement.  In fact, these circumstances are anything but convenient or desired.  As I consider these families, I notice that they are refined and humbled in ways that "normal" life simply cannot afford.  These families are forced to look at life in a new way and words like HOPE, FAITH, and FAMILY become more intense and real.

My Dad's mother, Cumorah Brinton, lived to be 96 years old.  She lived a challenging life on a farm, raising 6 sons.  Then, finally, she had a little girl who they named Genevive.  I'm sure Grandma Cumorah was thrilled!  Then, one day while the boys were off at school, Grandma was out working on the farm and she saw smoke coming from the direction of their little house.  By they time she rushed back to the little home it was too late, and baby Genevive was consumed by the fire.  I just can't imagine how this tragedy affected the rest of my Grandmother's life.  All I do know and remember of her is that she was the most humble, saintly woman I have ever known.

In my faith, we believe that families can be sealed together beyond the grave to be reunited in the eternities.  This is one of the unique functions of our temples.  Perhaps it was this hope that she could be with her little Genevive again that carried Grandma all those years.  Grandma was always so happy and positive.  In fact, in her 90's when someone would ask her for advice, she was famous for responding, "Well, the first 100 years are the hardest."

Maybe Joann and I will get lucky and baby Tag's tumor will be of the benign sort, and it will simply involute over time and the cosmetic experts will fix his little ear so that its positioned properly so he looks like a normal little baby.  Or maybe we are lucky to have him just as he is. 

What if Tag was designed this way for a purpose?  Most times when a friend has a new baby they send out a baby announcement telling you of their weight and length.  I always thought this a strange custom but I guess at arrival you don't know much more than that... But still, isn't it interesting how we start comparing our kids with others right from the start?  Anyway, normally we view these announcements and think something like, "Oh, they had their baby.  Isn't that nice..."  Then we go on with our lives never to think about these kids again, only to see photos on an occasional Christmas card.

Tag's arrival has been quite different.  Already he has caused wonder among so many and we are shocked to learn how many are following this blog.  It's as if he already has so many friends pulling for him who are interested to know how he is doing.  When friends meet him in person for the first time they are so excited as if they are seeing an old friend.

Joann and I have been so humbled by all the support and love from so many.  This Christmas had a whole different level of gratitude and Christmas spirit and I found myself thinking about my cute Grandmother often.  Yesterday, one of Tag's little cousins, Nikolas Kriser, asked me what I got for Christmas and without hesitation I exclaimed, "I got Tag!" -- and I meant it.  What a great gift.




On Christmas Eve, we received an anonymous letter from someone who said they had a son who was born with fused fingers and they too had spent several anxious days at Primary Children's, hoping and praying for his well-being.  In this letter they expressed their love for Tag and us as well, and included a 100 dollar bill.  They told us the story that as they were struggling, someone had done the same for them and they hoped this letter would give us a little help.  This touched Joann and I so much that we cried when we read about their story and gladly accepted their thoughtful gift.  The only thing they asked in return was that someday down the road we pay it forward to someone else.  Tag and I will have a great adventure finding our recipient!  Thank you so much to our anonymous friend.

Another friend sent us a link to a short film called, The Butterfly Circus.  This is a great film about the impact a single person can have on another person's life, and how perspective is so important.  You can view this film here:  http://www.thedoorpost.com/hope/The%20Butterfly%20Circus/

Note to Tag:  Whatever happens little buddy, you are the best and the limit is the sky!  Don't forget it.

2 comments:

  1. That was an amazing post. Clearly Tag has already been a huge blessing to your lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who had a baby diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis and she mentioned this book that she was introduced to called "Roadmap to Holland". It asks you to imagine a trip you've been planning to Italy. You have been dreaming of, and preparing for this Italy trip, but when you get off the plane you hear "Welcome to Holland." What? You didn't want to go to Holland you wanted to go to Italy. You've been planning for Italy. It helps you realize and appreciate all the beautiful and wonderful things that Holland has to offer, different, but equally as wonderful. This author has a child with down syndrome and she parallels this story to her new child and what it meant for her.
    This may not Be what you had imagined for your child and family, but there will be unexpected joys as you pointed out in your post.

    ReplyDelete