As per usual, Tag's vitals are strong with no complications or worries following biopsy #2. He's feeding well and sleeping even better. Funny how life is all about perspective. While I'm sure our situation has seemed so difficult and stressful from the outside, I find myself feeling gratitude from the inside. The other day, I was in the elevator and an older gentleman stepped in to ride with me. He looked like a nice grandfather, but his eyes looked a little puffy. I asked him how he was doing and he said, "Not so good. We just learned that my cute granddaughter of 3 years old has cancer and will only be with us for maybe another 3 months." Then the elevator opened and he was gone.
Then, at a nice lunch the NICU put on for all the parents stuck in here with their kids, they asked us to each introduce ourselves and tell a little bit about why we are here. I have to say that among all the parents I felt like the lucky one as I listened to their stories. One young Dad broke down as he talked about his daughter. This young father struck me the hardest because he was such a strong, tough-looking guy and this situation he found himself in had softened him beyond his ability to control himself. I walked up to him after the lunch and gave him a hug and we laughed at how these little ones can soften us so much.
I really can't believe how much I love this little Tag man. My friends told me that it was amazing and that I wouldn't understand until I was a father. They were right. The way he has handled himself with all the poking, prodding, tape-tearing, etc. is nothing short of awesome. He is much tougher than I am, and seems to handle it all with complete calm. Right now I'm sitting alone in the waiting room while Jo is in with Tag waiting for him to wake up so she can feed him.
I just returned from walking out to our car with Ruth from "The Baby Seat Squad" to teach me how to work Tag's car seat and to make sure our seat meets the requirements. I told her how ridiculous I thought the whole car seat regulation police had become. Example: They make the baby face the back seat until he's one year old. I'm all for keeping the baby safe, but give me a break. I'm sure all you parents out there can relate to this frustration.
Word is I get to take Tag and Mother home this afternoon, but I won't celebrate that until we are off the property heading south. 10 days that felt like forever. It'll be nice to be home to watch some football. Here's the only TV we've been able to watch:


Mitch,
ReplyDeleteI want to thank you so much for your thoughtful blogging. So many love Jo and this sweet jesture on your part to keep those who care informed has been amazing. Yes I agree Jo is amazing, Tag is strong and brave, but I must say Dad you are right up there in my book.
Love to all of you.....Kenna
I am so hoping you make it home today. It will be so nice to sit on a couch in a home and give him kisses in the neck. Nice comments today.
ReplyDeleteHey Mitch . . . this TV you've been watching isn't really all that bad. . . . .especially when you compare it to American Idol, The Bachelorette, and America's Got Talent.
ReplyDeleteI have my fingers crossed that you really will get out of the hospital today. Great writing, Mitch! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteBonnie