Sunday, January 30, 2011

Personality

Tag, I want to write down a few of my favorite things about you.  You are only 13 months old, but your personality is starting to come through and we are having a blast watching.  It's getting to the point where you are quickly bored sitting in your chair when we go out to eat, which is challenging because your Mom and I love eating out!

Each time I put you down, you immediately turn your head and give me a smile as if to ask me if it's okay that you go explore.  I smile back and then you take off on your own with no thought of me again.  You walk up to other patrons and grab their leg to say hello.  If there's another little one near your age, you spot them quickly and walk up to them to make a friend. You don't grab them or attempt to take their food (like some kids).  Instead you smile and reach out to them as if to invite them to be your friend.  Most of them don't quite know how to take it!

Tag, approaching a new friend in a restaurant.

This boy was Tag's same age and they smiled and touched each other for a while.
Another thing you do every time you are in a restaurant is somehow find the kitchen and beeline right for it.  Maybe you smell the food, or perhaps the servers walking in and out grab your attention.  But you get mad at me when I won't let you continue your exploration into the depths of the kitchen.

The other night, Joann and I were bored so we took you to the mall on the south end of Provo (if you know me, I must be really bored to make this a better choice!) and I had one of the best times of my life following you around while your mom shopped.  You absolutely loved walking up and down the escalators (with me holding your hands) and touching the glass displays.  The funniest thing you do is whenever a good song plays you stop in your tracks and start to dance.  And I mean only on good songs.  For example, while in the mall, there was some cheesy elevator music playing and you didn't even notice it.  Then, all of a sudden a Bob Marley song started playing and you stopped in the middle of the aisle and started dancing.  About 10 people nearby stopped what they were doing and enjoyed watching you dance while I hid behind some clothes racks to watch you and their reaction.  It was so classic!

Last night we took you out to sushi with Momsie, Papaw and your great uncle Cary.  You enjoyed eating the tempura vegetables and crushed ice from my glass.  After walking straight into the kitchen again, I took you next door to a cool toy store that had thousands of toys, candy, and other magical items within your reach.  You were in hog heaven!  Here's a few photos from your adventures there, taken with my lame cell phone:

You, me, and a funny mirror.

Man, oh man did you love this rocking horse!

I love your look here as you wonder if you are actually sitting on a giraffe!
The other day at church, there was a nice old man walking with his walker.  You smiled at him and walked right up and stepped in to help him on his way.


These are some of the funny things you do and the smiles you bring to Joann and I.  Not to mention everyone who sees you walking with purpose and curiosity.  I like my life so much better with you in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment