Wednesday, January 12, 2011

MRI today

7:30 AM: Joann and I stayed the night in Draper with grandpa Howard last night in preparation for Tag's MRI this morning at 7:30 am.  Right now, I find myself sitting in the recovery room typing a blog post like old times.  Old, scary times.  The feelings are bit different today.  I have a sense of relief and confidence that this MRI will again be a positive ---

[10 minute pause] --- Sheez, just as I was writing this, Joann and I heard Tag's cries and we ran out of the recovery room into the MRI chamber.  Tag had awakened from the anesthesia and the capable staff were working on him to get him back to sleep!  Now, my heart is racing a bit.

Nurses work to sedate the Tagman.

Well, so much for relaxing!  Still, I mostly feel calm about Tag and his health.  The staff asked us all sorts of questions about him as we checked in, and as Joann answered I felt like cheering for him.  He has handled all of this with such amazing bravado that I just love him even more.  The main nurse on site, Dianne, was with Tag during his first visit to Riverton Hospital when he was only a month old.  She was so happy to see us and him.  She kept commenting how much she wonders about the little ones that come and go and she never gets to see their progress.  Can you imagine that?  It was fun to give her a chance to see Tagman and how much he's grown.

Seeing Tag with all the wires connected again was not fun.  He cried and looked at us as they poked him and set things up.  At one point he reached out to me with his unpoked arm as if to say, "Dad!  Rescue me!"  I about grabbed him and ran for the door, but I took a deep breath and did my best to help him smile.

Playing with a car while nurses prep for the MRI.

Diane, Tag's old friend and nurse, sets the IV.

Jo and Tag getting ready for action.

Now he's sleeping peacefully as they scan his head and neck.  Then we will have a chat with the doctor here and then we are off to Primary's for a quick meeting with the Oncology staff to review the MRI and talk about any future issues.  I keep taking deep breaths and wondering how I am so lucky to have such a happy, handsome, and amazing little boy.

10 AM:  Tag is out of the MRI and is sleeping. The radiologist came in and said everything looks normal so Tag has passed another test.  Now we're off to Primary Children's to meet with Oncology.

1 PM:  We just met with Oncology after waiting for over an hour.  While waiting we saw many little ones with bald heads awaiting their chemo treatments.  We felt lucky Tag has not had to endure that ordeal (and us too!).  Dr Bruggers checked Tag out and said he looks awesome and shows no signs of danger.  We are supposed to do this same drill every 6 months for the next couple of years to monitor his little body.  It certainly could be worse.

Tag was kind of drunk and disorderly this afternoon, but he's back to normal now.  Smiling and exploring his world.  Another successful day in the adventures of Charles Taggart Brinton.

No comments:

Post a Comment