Tag, I hope that someday you master the art of patience much better than I have. Perhaps it's because I live in a culture where everything is NOW. I mean, if someone sends me an email that takes more than two minutes, it seems like a burden. That is crazy. Even as little as 20 years ago, when I was in college, email didn't even exist, let alone cell phones. With DVR, I can fast forward through all the commercials in order to get back to the football game (which is one of the greatest inventions of the 21st Century!). Drive thru's deliver full meals within minutes. I could go on and on.
The challenge with these conveniences is that they create an unreal expectation that other, more important parts of life, should be as fast. For example, building a successful company, stopping you from crying, paying back debts, waiting for your mother to get ready to go out (ha)...
The scriptures are clear (and filled with examples) in teaching us that patience is a critical virtue to develop.
Colossians 1:11 - Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and long suffering with joyfulness.
Hebrews 6:12 - That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience, inherit the promises.
Alma 26:7 - Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren ... and bear with patience afflictions, and I will give unto you success.
However, look at the rewards in these three examples for those who exercise patience:
1) We are strengthened with all might.
2) We inherit the promises.
3) We will be given success.
All the trials of 2008 and 2009 have been a patience training ground for me. I have waited so long to meet you. And then you arrived with this little "mass" on your head to test me once again. I'm so glad to be a little more prepared in patience after these trials. I still have much work to do, but I am so glad to be able to share the rest of it with you.
PS. After reading this post, my Mom and your sweet grandmother, Julie Brinton, sent me this discourse on patience by Elder Neil A. Maxwell, one of the twelve Apostles. One would benefit greatly by reading and pondering this this powerful defense for the virtue of patience. Talk On Patience
PS. After reading this post, my Mom and your sweet grandmother, Julie Brinton, sent me this discourse on patience by Elder Neil A. Maxwell, one of the twelve Apostles. One would benefit greatly by reading and pondering this this powerful defense for the virtue of patience. Talk On Patience
Good lessons for all of us! Thanks!
ReplyDelete