Thursday, January 14, 2010

Be Strong Little Heart

Note to Tag:
Son, if you read this someday (and I hope you do), I want you to know that sometimes life sucks.  Today was one of those days and when those days come that put your heart to the test, you just have to take a deep breath and surrender the stress, pain, worry, and seemingly insurmountable odds to God.

Think about all the epic movies we love.  Gladiator, Lion King, Star Wars, Chronicles of Narnia, Braveheart.  In each of these the "hero" is taken from his comfort zone, into an unknown world where it seems all hell has broken lose.  Then, against all the odds, he somehow gathers a few friends and together they find a way to conquer.  What is it about these stories that draw us in, Tag?  And what is it about these stories that provide a unique insight into our own story?

I'm here to tell you son, that I am worried about you.  Tomorrow you go in to the hospital for another MRI.  They are requiring you to fast for 4 hours before, so the anesthesia doesn't make you sick.  This should make for a fun ride in the car for your mom and I...

Your mother and I still have no real answers as to how you are really doing, and you've been with us for nearly 6 weeks!  Meanwhile, your grandfather Howard Brinton is battling his own cancer and has started Chemotherapy, leaving him tired and weak.  And here I am treading water somewhere in the middle, wondering how long both my father and son will be here to help me win my own battle.

Not to mention all the craziness with one of the toughest economies this country has ever had, making it extremely difficult for me to find something stable that can care for you as you visit all these hospitals.

Today's one of those days where I just have to lay all these concerns on the alter and surrender.  I was hoping to get a smile out of you tonight so I can take a picture of you for this post, but you are sad and crying tonight as if you know tomorrow's going to be a tough day.

Remember son, that when it gets tough, and IT WILL GET TOUGH, to put your trust where it counts and find yourself standing on the rock.  It will get better and in the end you will conquer no matter what circumstances you find yourself in.  I'll be praying tonight for you little man.

Your Dad,

Mitch

3 comments:

  1. I'll be praying for you, too. Love to you, Joann, and cute little Super Tag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One gets the same feeling when one hears The Star Spangled Banner as one gets watching those 'hero' movies. I was inspired to point out to my children that the only people who can have that feeling, that feeling of courage are those who are doing Heavenly Father's will. Things will not always turn out the way we think they should, but those who are doing Heavenly Father's will can have courage and peace and be buoyed up and in the end, will win what is most important. Joann and Mitch and Tag, you are sharing your beautiful 'hero' story and demonstrating courage for the rest of us. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. May our gracious Heavenly Father grant you courage and peace as you endure this difficult time. "But those who suffer he delivers in their suffering; he speaks to them in their affliction." Job 36:15

    May you feel His loving presence as you wait for answers. Isaiah 41:10, "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphgold you with my righteous right hand."

    ReplyDelete